Are you hoping to lose weight, get stronger, or feel healthier and more energized? New to the world of diet and exercise and don’t know how to get started? Well, you’re in the right place! Whether you’re a complete beginner or a seasoned gym-goer looking to jump back into the fitness lifestyle, we’ve put together this quick and simple beginner’s guide to get you on track to a healthier, happier you!
Step 1: Get Active
Add physical activity to your daily routine. Keep it simple. Start by going for a 10-15 minute walk after lunch or between chores. Do this 3-5 times a week. Not only can you burn up to 100 calories with this simple step, but you’re also giving yourself the benefits of increased flexibility, increased blood circulation, improved mood, and, over time, as the length of your walk increases, potential decreases in blood pressure.
Once you become consistent with your walking routine, feel free to explore other options, such as:
- Increasing your time to 30 or 45 minutes – the longer you walk, the stronger the benefits. Build your time slowly, so that you don’t get burned out in the first few weeks. The goal is to stay consistent.
- Adding a light jog once or twice a week – increasing the pace will not only increase your calorie burn, but also strengthen your cardiovascular system, which allows you to breathe easier and feel less stressed overall.
- Attending a class at your local gym or yoga studio – add little variety to your routine by trying out a group class or signing up for a trial training session at a nearby fitness center. It’s one thing to work out on your own, but having the support of professionals and fellow participants can both help keep you accountable and enhance your results.
Step 2: Begin Eating Nutritious Food
When we’re looking to get healthier and/or lose weight, our tendency is to put food items into 2 categories: 1) BAD food – the things you avoid because they make you fat, and 2) GOOD food – the ones that usually taste horrible, but you eat them because you want to lose weight. This is NOT helpful to your fitness goals, because it creates restriction. Instead, think about EXPANDING your options. Here’s how:
- Find 2-3 types of fruits and green veggies that you enjoy. A few of my favorite fruits are strawerries, blueberries, and fresh figs! Veggies that I tend to run to: belgian endives, broccolini, and persian cucumbers (gotta love dippables!).
- Swap your usual snack with the fruit. It’s just like they say, fruit is nature’s candy. Take advantage of these sweet and nutritious treats because they tend to pack a ton of vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber.
- Dedicate 1/2 of your dinner plate or lunch to veggies. Beside the fact that green veggies are packed with nutrients, just like fruit, they are also lower in calories than their starchy carb alternatives (bread, rice, pasta, etc.). That means that you can eat MORE of them and still slim down.
Step 3: Get Social
It is my FIRM belief that in order to live a healthy and fit lifestyle, you MUST expose yourself to inspiration, motivation, and tips for healthy living on a daily basis.
The highly regarded motivational speaker and businessman Jim Rohn once said “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” In this digital age, his words can be applied to the modes of communication and connection we use on a daily basis: social media. For many of us, the first messages we see in the morning come in the form of emails, memes, videos, tweets, texts and other pop-up notifications on our phones. The information we immerse ourselves in affects what we think about each day and how we behave. Just like you control your food intake, control your information intake:
- Join Online Fitness Communities – The most popular ones out there right now are on Facebook Groups. When you join a group, you receive notifications whenever they post or have live chats! Plus, you get the benefit of receiving support from all the other members involved 🙂
- Follow Fitness Figures On Social Media. There’s nothing like opening your feed and seeing inspirational photos and quotes that get you motivated to hit your own health and fitness goals! Instagram is my favorite place to find these, with Facebook as a very close second! If you’re down with quick quotes, try Twitter!
- Subscribe To Health & Fitness Blogs & Email Lists. There is so much information out there. If you find a fitness personality or health and wellness expert that you enjoy, why have their latest blogs, instructional videos, and announcements delivered directly to your inbox? Signing up for a list eliminates the step of you having to go to their website to search for new information. You know what they say, what’s at the top of your inbox is at the top of your mind! Or something like that… 😉
It’s as simple as that! Follow this 3 Step Process and you’ll be on your way to building a healthy and fit lifestyle in no time!
Mwuah! 😉 Nadia
PS – Have you joined our community on Facebook? Head on over to That Fit Life Social on Facebook and start engaging now!
Also, join our mailing list, so you can receive our latest tips on weight loss, nutrition, and healthy living! Click the link below to join the mailing list: